London beats Vancouver in creepy Olympic moments
Sometimes I read an article, and I ask myself, "Why didn't I think of that?"
The most recent example came when I spoted this gem on the cracked.com site.
Entitled "5 Creepy Things London Did to Prepare for the Olympics", it could have just as easily been written about the 2010 Games in Vancouver.
Here's the list:
• "Surface-to-Air Missiles...on Apartment Buildings": Okay, we didn't go quite that far, but there was an incredible buildup of security forces in the city.
• "The Biggest Military Buildup in London Since World War II": The same could be said for Vancouver in 2010.
• "Empty Roads for the Rich": These, of course, are those dreaded Olympic lanes, which caused no end of irritation in Vancouver.
• "Big Brother Is Watching You (You, Specifically)": It's not as if we're not familiar with that.
• "Berlin Wall 2: Wall Harder": We didn't have the equivalent in Vancouver of a stadium being surrounded by a wall. So in this regard, London wins gold for "creepy Olympic moments".