What wacky name would you give Vancouver’s newest school?
If you could name a public school, what would you call it?
The Vancouver school board is holding a contest to find a name for a new school being built in the University Endowment Lands. The school will replace Acadia Road elementary, which is now housed in portables on the grounds of Queen Elizabeth elementary, and be located on the current site of University Hill secondary.
Here’s the rules for the contest:
1. The name selected should honour our historical and cultural heritage, or recognize an outstanding individual, or be significant to the geography of the area.
2. If a school is named to recognized an outstanding individual that individual must be deceased.
3. Names already in use in another school district, especially a neighbouring one, should be avoided.
You can submit your proposals that adhere to the contest rules to the school board via its Name That School page until January 18, 2013.
But we’re not so interested in those name suggestions. All rules aside, we’re wondering what you would name this publicly funded place of learning?
Here’s a few names that probably won’t make the cut, because they don’t follow the rules, aren’t pleasant, or yada yada yada:
• School on Stolen Native Land
• Wreck Beach View Elementary School
• Gordon Campbell Elementary School
• The School Formerly Known as Acadia Road
• The Other University Hill Elementary School
• Another School Named After a Dead White Man
We invite you to share your preferred school names in our comments section. Just no, you know, disgusting names. This is an elementary school we’re talking about.