Vancouver city council to vote on 33 cultural infrastructure grants
On Tuesday (October 8), Vancouver city council will vote on a report recommending the approval of 33 cultural infrastructure grants for 2013.
The grants support facilities that benefit the local cultural community, but are not intended to fund operating budgets.
The Cultural Infrastructure Grant Program consists of three categories: planning projects, minor capital improvements, and major capital improvements. Capital improvement requests comprised 65 percent of the intake, with the remaining 35 percent consisting of planning requests.
The 2013 capital budget allocates $800,000 for cultural infrastructure grants. The total grant request is $1,582,906 while the recommended grants total $1,000,000.
Among the largest recommended grants in the major capital improvement category are the Bard on the Beach Theatre Society ($95,000), Malaspina Printmakers Society ($95,000), Britannia Community Services Centre Society ($85,500), and the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver ($80,280).
Other facilities which received recommendations include the Alliance for Arts and Culture Society, Arts Club of Vancouver Theatre Building Society, Chinese Cultural Centre of Vancouver, Contemporary Art Gallery Society, Electric Co. Theatre/Vancouver Creative Space Society (Progress Lab 1422), Firehall Theatre Society, Satellite Video Exchange Society (VIVO), and the Vancouver Museum Society (Museum of Vancouver).
Thirty-eight applications were reviewed.
Latincouver Business and Cultural Society, Renegade Arts Society, Vancouver Aboriginal Friendship Centre, Vancouver Aquarium Marine Science Centre, and the Vancouver Dance Foundation were not recommended for grants, primarily due to insufficient information.