10 interesting facts about Canada's video game industry
Do you play video games? Since 58 percent of Canadians are gamers, you probably do.
Here's 10 interesting facts from the ESAC report:
1. Canada is home to the third largest video-game industry in the world (after the U.S. and Japan).
2. The Canadian industry includes 329 companies and the equivalent of 16,500 full-time employees.
3. In B.C., the industry consists of 67 companies, compared to 97 in Quebec and 96 in Ontario.
4. In B.C., 5,150 people are employed by the industry, compared to 8,750 in Quebec and 1,850 in Ontario.
5. 88 percent of Canadian video-game companies have 99 employees or less.
6. The average age of workers is 31 years old.
7. The average salary is $72,500 per year.
8. Most video-game revenue in Canada still comes from console games.
9. On average, a mobile game takes $303,500, a team of seven, and 156 days to develop.
10. 54 percent of Canadian gamers are male, and 46 percent are female.
Interestingly, the ESAC report doesn't provide a breakdown of video-game industry workers by gender.