Wow, you really hate cyclists in Vancouver
Every time there's a bike-lane controversy, we're reminded how polarized this city is on cycling issues.
Whether it's bikes on the road, bikes on the sidewalk, or bikes in separated lanes—bikes just don't seem to belong anywhere, according to many people in Vancouver.
Stories about the "war" between drivers and cyclists, such as my posts on the fight between bike courier Edward Hoey and a motorist (captured in photos and video), seem to bring out the worst in some of those cycling critics.
I've gone through the comments on this week's posts (and on Facebook) to find the worst of the worst, in hopes that some cyclist haters will be embarassed by these (commonly expressed) sentiments and rethink their vitriol in the future.
Here's 10 of the most disgusting anti-cyclist comments I've read—so far—this week.
1. Craig R. Palmer: "Cyclists always deserve it."
2. bob: "I hate cyclists. Even when in the bike lane they seem to ride right on the line making it hard for drivers to get around them. The cars were there first and take a lot longer to stop then a 10 lb bike. They complain when cars get too close and they want to be considered vehicles yet they totally ignore the rules that cars have to obey. Take transit if you want to "save the environment"."
3. Pete Georgas: "Perfect, hit him again !!"
4. taking pics: "People were taking pictures because finally they were witnessing justice. Bike Riders don't own the god damn road."
5. Tm: "This is awesome, stay in your bike lanes and out of traffic lanes u moronic cyclists. U complain until they put more in and then you don't even use them."
6. Joe: "biker lucky cops didn't beat him again"
7. Andrew: "Why wasn't the cyclist riding in the bike lane? And what would make the cyclist think he has the right to go into the drivers window and throw his papers onto the street? He deserved to get beat up."
8. Justice: "Is served."
9. Evan O'Connor: "Entitled cyclist acts like asshole, gets ass kicked by carnivore."
10. Steve: "I drive downtown a lot and ill bet the cyclist started the whole thing. They seem to do whatever they want whenever they want then flip you the bird. stick to your bike lanes the douche Mayor bought ya"