Vegan French toast
This quick and delicious French toast recipe makes a great breakfast item.
- 2 cups (473 mL) rice beverage
- 2 Tbsp (30 mL) vegan margarine
- 1 tsp (15 mL) flax meal
- 2 tsp (10 mL) pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1.25 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) salt
- 2 tsp (10 mL) agave syrup or 1 Tbsp (15 mL) turbinado sugar
- 1/2 ripe banana
- Sliced bread of your choice (whole wheat or other whole-grain bread preferred)
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting (optional)
1. In a saucepan over medium-low heat, warm the rice beverage for 1 minute.
2. Stir in the margarine, flax meal, vanilla extract, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and agave syrup or turbinado sugar. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
3. Add the banana and mash it against the sides of the saucepan. Some lumps may remain. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and transfer to a wide, shallow container. Allow to cool for 2 minutes.
5. Warm a lightly oiled skillet over a medium-high flame.
6. Dredge each side of each bread slice slowly through the rice beverage mixture.
7. Brown for a few minutes on each side in the hot skillet.
8. Serve with powdered sugar shaken though a small mesh strainer, if desired.
Add 1 tablespoon (15 mL) orange juice to the rice beverage in Step 2 for a different flavor. For added color, flavor, and protein, whisk 2 tablespoons (30 mL) quinoa flour into the rice beverage mixture before adding the banana. Serve with maple syrup or berry compote.
Yield: 8 servings
Recipe adapted from The Veganopolis Cookbook by David Stowell and George Black (Agate, 2011). Reprinted with permission. All rights reserved.