Chelsea Manning, tax havens, and Obama’s war on whistleblowers top Project Censored 2012-13
Today (October 3) Project Censored published its annual list of the year’s most underreported news stories.
Some of the top picks for 2012-13 are a bit of a departure from those included in previous years’ selections. Historically, Project Censored has focused more on issues deserving of exposure that didn’t receive it. This year, it also chose to highlight some topics that did receive attention from the mainstream media, but were given unfair or otherwise poor coverage.
For example, Project Censored’s number-one pick for 2012-13 is the case of Chelsea Manning (born Bradley Manning).
Explaining why the former U.S. military intelligence analyst is at the top of its list, the group’s website states: “When corporate media have focused on Manning, this coverage has often emphasized his sexual orientation and past life, rather than his First Amendment rights or the abusive nature of his imprisonment, which includes almost three years without trial and nearly one year in “administrative segregation,” the military equivalent of solitary.”
Other stores included in the top 25 are of significant importance but truly received scant attention from mainstream American media outlets.
Coming in at number 20, for example, is evidence that for four years, Israel decided how much food to allow into the Gaza Strip based on calculations for how many calories a human needs to survive. And at number 12, that the U.S. military’s use of depleted uranium and other toxic substances during its invasion and occupation of Iraq has left the country with an epidemic of cancers and birth defects.
Here’s Project Censored’s 2012-13 list of the top 25 stores ignored, misrepresented, or censored by the mainstream media:
25. Israel Gave Birth Control to Ethiopian Immigrants Without Their Consent
24. Widespread GMO Contamination: Did Monsanto Plant GMOs Before USDA Approval?
23. Transaction Tax Helps Civilize Wall Street and Lower the National Debt
22. Pennsylvania Law Gags Doctors to Protect Big Oil’s “Proprietary Secrets”
21. Monsanto and India’s “Suicide Economy”
20. Israel Counted Minimum Calorie Needs in Gaza Blockade
19. The Power of Peaceful Revolution in Iceland
18. Fracking Our Food Supply
17. The Creative Commons Celebrates Ten Years of Sharing and Cultural Creation
16. Journalism Under Attack Around the Globe
15. Food Riots: The New Normal?
14. Wireless Technology a Looming Health Crisis
13. A Fifth of Americans Go Hungry
12. The US Has Left Iraq with an Epidemic of Cancers and Birth Defects
11. Bush Blocked Iran Nuclear Deal
10. A “Culture of Cruelty” along Mexico–US Border
9. Icelanders Vote to Include Commons in Their Constitution
8. Bank Interests Inflate Global Prices by 35 to 40 Percent
7. Merchants of Death and Nuclear Weapons
6. Billionaires’ Rising Wealth Intensifies Poverty and Inequality
5. Hate Groups and Antigovernment Groups on Rise across US
4. Obama’s War on Whistleblowers
3. Trans-Pacific Partnership Threatens a Regime of Corporate Global Governance
2. Richest Global 1 Percent Hide Trillions in Tax Havens
1. Bradley Manning and the Failure of Corporate Media