On November 24, NDP health critic David Cubberley, the MLA for Saanich South, tried to get answers from Health Minister George Abbott about the government's contracting out of the Medical Services Plan and PharmaCare.
Last week, the Straight reported that Maximus B.C., which holds the contract, plans to lay off staff next month despite continuing to miss service requirements.
"Maximus still can't meet its service levels with the staffing they have in place," Cubberley told the house during question period, according to Hansard. "Incredibly, they're going to cut it. So how can they cut? How can they fire staff and cut resources further? Will the minister finally stop shielding this private contractor from scrutiny and admit failure?"
In response, Abbott said that the company was doing better.
"We are at last experiencing success," Abbott told the house.