Every year, Project Censored performs a valuable public service by researching and compiling a list of the most censored and under-reported news stories in the United States.
Started at Sonoma State University in 1976 and carried on by the Media Freedom Foundation since 2000, the project involves professors and students and journalists.
"During this year’s cycle, Project Censored reviewed 237 Validated Independent News stories (VINs) representing the collective efforts of 260 college students and 49 professors from 18 college and university campuses that participate in our affiliate program," the project website states.
Here's Project Censored's list of the top 25 most censored news stories of 2013-2014:
1. Ocean Acidification Increasing at Unprecedented Rate
2. Top Ten US Aid Recipients All Practice Torture
3. WikiLeaks Revelations on Trans-Pacific Partnership Ignored by Corporate Media
4. Corporate Internet Providers Threaten Net Neutrality
5. Bankers Back on Wall Street Despite Major Crimes
6. The Deep State: Government “without Reference to the Consent of the Governed”
7. FBI Dismisses Murder Plot against Occupy Leaders as NSA and Big Business Cracks Down on Dissent
8. Corporate News Ignores Connections Between Extreme Weather and Global Warming
9. US Media Hypocrisy in Covering Ukraine Crisis
10. World Health Organization Suppresses Report on Iraqi Cancers and Birth Defects
11. Wealthy Donors and Corporations Set Think Tanks’ Agendas
12. Pentagon Awash in Money Despite Serious Audit Problems
13. Lawsuit Challenges Nuclear Power Industry Immunity from Liability in Nuclear Accidents
14. Accumulating Evidence of Ongoing Wireless Technology Health Hazards
15. Reporting Miscarriages, Criminalizing Pregnant Women’s Bodies
16. The Beef Industry’s “Feedlot Feedback Loop”
17. 2016 Will Find Gaza out of Drinking Water
18. National Database of Police Killings Aims for Accountability
19. Agribusiness Giants Attempt to Silence and Discredit Scientists Whose Research Reveals Herbicides’ Health Threats
20. Estonia a Global Example of E-Government, Digital Freedom, Privacy, and Security
21. Questioning the Charter School Hype
22. Corporate News Media Understate Rape, Sexual Violence
23. Number of US Prison Inmates Serving Life Sentences Hits New Record
24. Restorative Justice Turns Violent Schools Around
25. “Chaptered Out”: US Military Seeks to Balance Budget on Backs of Disabled Veterans
You can read more about each of these stories on the Project Censored website.
The San Francisco Bay Guardian also ran an in-depth feature on this year's list.