Dominique Fricot's delicately wrought and emotionally rich songs will make you swoon or cry, possibly both. That said, the man has a wicked sense of humour, and apparently an insatiable hunger for deli meats.
Sea to Sky Playlist:
Macklemore and Ryan Lewis, "Can't Hold Us". Start blasting this as soon as you get on the freeway and get amped for a killer weekend.
Then the Songza pick or Grooveshark playlist of the most attractive person in your car. Your attention span is really too short to care about any of my other music picks, so you might as well find out what the person you are gunning to make out with is into.
Fanny pack (bum bag). These are ripe to come back into fashion at any moment so get in on the ground floor. A backpack is gonna annoy you, but you can put everything you need in a fanny pack. What you put in is completely subjective: comb, condoms, firecrackers, sun tan lotion. You're an adult. You know what you need.
I Would Love to Hang With:
Childish Gambino aka Donald Glover. Have you seen Community, his standup, or any of his music videos? The man is hilarious. We'd probably develop our own secret handshake backstage until I convinced him that he needed an out-of-place 6-7 hype man, or my pleading forever destroyed our weekend bromance.
First Festival Experience:
Lilith Fair in Calgary in 1997 or '98. Great music by the likes of Paula Cole and Sarah MacLachlan in the sunshine for a whole day while I was in a sea of 98 percent women. I'll let your imagination take you where it wants to go.
As stellar as this year’s Squamish bill is, what’s your Fantasy Fest line-up?
- Bon Iver
- DJ Shadow
- Radiohead (with only 15-20 percent of their post In Rainbows glitchy material)
- Sigur Rós (in the dark, cuz that 5 p.m. show at Deer Lake Park in daylight was basically a huge game of "just the tip")
- We Are the City
- Tori Amos
And me, of course.
What’s your official rider reques?
- 8-foot clawfoot bathtub, or something that I can stretch out in
- Bottomless gin and tonics; don't you dare skimp on the limes
- Case of wine from Marquis Wine Cellars. (It's part of an old handshake contract)
- Espresso machine, and not one of those keurigs, the real thing with a milk steamer preferably
- No hummus-and-vegetable platter, we're all bored of that
- Pulled-pork and deli-meat platter
Trivia time: What’s Squamish’s official slogan?
"It don't smell like fish in Squamish"?
The Squamish Valley Music Festival takes place at Hendrickson Fields & Logger Sports Ground. Quick—what’s your favourite logger sport?
It would have to be a toss-up between the lumberjack-shirt-ripping contest and the fastest-oiled-chest contest. In some countries they just combine the two and it's just an amazing smorgasbord of shirt-ripping, chest hair, saw tattoos, and baby-oil goodness. Yummy.
Dominique Fricot plays the Squamish Valley Music Festival's Garibaldi Stage on Saturday (August 10) at 6:05 p.m.