When you ask locals in Victoria about living there, some will say "it's a nice place to live but it's full of seniors and there are no jobs."
However, I think those locals are stuck in the '80s.
They're not looking at the new Victoria.
The new Victoria is hip, affordable, and accessible to people from all walks of life.
Here are seven reasons to love Victoria:
1. Far nicer hotels for the price and quality than you would find in Vancouver, whether it's the Marriott or the Harbour Towers, especially during the off-season.
2. Government Street is great for walking and for visiting Munro's, the legendary bookstore. On a clear and bright day, you can even dream you're in Europe with the way it's laid out.
3. Victoria restaurants are on the ball with farm-to-table and all the latest food trends. Again, they offer great value and a surprising freshness, given the price point. Examples include 10 Acres and Mint.
4. Craft breweries.
5. The weather. For those struggling to meditate in Vancouver, a 90-minute ferry ride to Victoria will do the trick.
6. Victoria is so damn peaceful.
7. Dogs, dogs, dogs.