After active cases decreased over the weekend for the first time in weeks, they resumed climbing again today, and hospitalized cases also continued to increase.
Active cases in Interior Health have risen above 2,000 cases.
There are also 35 domestic and international flights added to lists of potential public exposures.
In the B.C. immunization program, just over 75 percent of all eligible individuals 12 years and above have now received their second dose.
Earlier today, B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry announced new public health orders to reinstate masks as mandatory in all indoor public places, including restaurants, public transit, stores, malls, fitness centres, schools, and more. She stated that this order is temporary and will be assessed as the B.C. Vaccine Card program is implemented.
In addition, the B.C. government announced its plans for health guidelines for the new school year starting in September for K-12 and post-secondary schools.
For more details on both mandatory masks and school guidelines, see this article.
B.C. update: August 24
Today, the B.C. Health Ministry is reporting 641 new COVID-19 cases (including one epi-linked case).
Currently, there are 5,357 active cases, which is an increase of 301 cases since yesterday.
The new and active cases include:
- 273 new cases in Interior Health, with 2,054 total active cases (124 more cases than yesterday);
- 149 new cases in Fraser Health, with 1,223 total active cases (24 more cases than yesterday);
- 125 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, with 1,330 total active cases (107 more cases);
- 39 new cases in Northern Health, with 308 total active cases (10 more cases);
- 53 new cases in Island Health, with 430 total active cases (29 more cases);
- two new cases of people who reside outside of Canada, with 12 total active cases (two more cases).
Today, 138 individuals are now in hospital (five more people than yesterday) and 78 of those patients are in intensive care units (two fewer than yesterday).
The good news is that no new deaths have been reported. The overall total number of fatalities remains at 1,801 people who have died during the pandemic of COVID-19-related reasons.
With 340 recoveries since yesterday, a cumulative total of 153,967 people who tested positive have now recovered.
During the pandemic, B.C. has reported an overall total of 161,271 cases in the province.
From August 9 to 22, 83.4 percent of cases and 85.6 percent of hospitalizations were among people who aren’t fully vaccinated.
For cases from August 16 to 22:
- 2,870 unvaccinated people (70.2 percent);
- 541 partially vaccinated people (13.2 percent);
- 680 fully vaccinated people (16.6 percent).
For hospitalizations from August 9 to 22:
- 108 unvaccinated people (77.7 percent);
- 11 partially vaccinated people (7.9 percent);
- 20 fully vaccinated people (14.4 percent).
Since the immunization program launched in December, B.C. has administered 7,351,471 doses of Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca vaccines.
As of today, 83.3 percent (3,861,296) of eligible people 12 and older have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 75.1 percent (3,482,876) received their second dose.
In addition, 84.1 percent (3,635,963) of eligible adults have received their first dose and 76.3 percent (3,300,470) received their second dose.
Outbreaks and exposures
Further good news is that none of the five regional health authorities declared any new healthcare facility or community outbreaks, and also didn’t list any new public exposures or business closures.
Today, Fraser Health declared the outbreak over at KinVillage West Court in South Delta.
Currently, there are total of 12 active outbreaks, including:
- longterm care: Heritage Village (Fraser Health); Village at Mill Creek, Nelson Jubilee Manor, Kootenay Street Village, Cottonwoods Care Centre, and Brookhaven Care Centre (Interior Health);
- acute care: Peace Arch Hospital (Fraser Health);
- assisted- or independent-living: Nicola Meadows, Hawthorn Park, David Lloyd, Sun Pointe Village, and Hardy View Lodge (Interior Health).
The B.C. Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) added the following 35 flights to its lists of potential public exposures (affected row information is listed at the BCCDC website when available):
- August 10: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8415, Kelowna to Vancouver;
- August 10: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8568, Vancouver to Regina;
- August 11: Flair Flight 603, Abbotsford to Edmonton;
- August 12: Air Canada Flight 861, London to Vancouver;
- August 13: Air Canada Flight 224, Vancouver to Calgary;
- August 13: Air Canada Flight 861, London to Vancouver;
- August 14: WestJet Flight 3303, Regina to Kelowna;
- August 15: Air Canada Flight 221, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 15: Flair Flight 319, Waterloo to Kelowna;
- August 15: Flair Flight 691, Winnipeg to Abbotsford;
- August 15: WestJet Flight 119, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 16: Air Canada Flight 344, Vancouver to Ottawa;
- August 16: Swoop Flight 201, Edmonton to Abbotsford;
- August 16: Swoop Flight 602, Calgary to Abbotsford;
- August 16: Air Canada Flight 131, Toronto to Vancouver;
- August 16: Flair Flight 602, Calgary to Abbotsford;
- August 17: Air France Flight 74, Paris to Vancouver;
- August 18: Air Canada Flight 184, Vancouver to Toronto;
- August 18: Air Canada Flight 228, Vancouver to Calgary;
- August 18: Turkish Airlines Flight 4928, Istanbul to Vancouver;
- August 19: Air Canada Flight 343, Ottawa to Vancouver;
- August 19: Flair Flight 516, Calgary to Victoria Lufthansa;
- August 19: Flight 476, Munich to Vancouver;
- August 19: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8485, Edmonton to Vancouver;
- August 19: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8841, San Francisco to Vancouver;
- August 19: Philippine Airlines Flight 116, Manila to Vancouver;
- August 19: Turkish Airlines Flight 75, Istanbul to Vancouver;
- August 19: WestJet Flight 128, Vancouver to Calgary;
- August 20: Lufthansa Flight 492, Frankfurt to Vancouver;
- August 20: WestJet Flight 112, Vancouver to Calgary;
- August 21: Air Canada Flight 997, Mexico City to Vancouver;
- August 21: Air Canada Flight 1129, Toronto to Kelowna;
- August 22: Air Canada Flight 213, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 22: Flair Flight 604, Edmonton to Abbotsford;
- August 22: Flair Flight 517, Victoria to Calgary.