Active cases are approaching the 6,000 mark.
After the record high (for recent weeks) of 867 new cases on August 27, the following day had the second highest number in recent weeks.
That all said, there are some encouraging signs in specific areas: the number of active cases in Fraser Health is holding steady while those in Vancouver Coastal Health are continuing to decrease.
Unfortunately, active cases are continuing to climb in the ongoing hotspot of Interior Health, as well as in Island and Northern Health.
There were also four new healthcare outbreaks and 33 flights with potential exposures.
B.C. update: August 27 to 30
The B.C. Health Ministry is reporting a total of 1,853 new COVID-19 cases (including four epi-linked cases) over the past three days. By date, the total includes:
- August 27 to 28: 769 new cases;
- August 28 to 29: 581 new cases;
- August 29 to 30: 503 new cases.
Currently, there are 5,918 active cases, which is an increase of 261 cases since August 27.
The new and active cases include:
- 707 new cases in Interior Health, with 2,424 total active cases (234 more cases than August 27);
- 531 new cases in Fraser Health, with 1,371 total active cases (six fewer cases);
- 295 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, with 1,076 total active cases (56 fewer cases);
- 178 new cases in Island Health, with 587 total active cases (32 more cases);
- 142 new cases in Northern Health, with 453 total active cases (60 more cases);
- no new cases of people who reside outside of Canada, with seven total active cases (three fewer cases).
Hospitalized cases increased. Today, there are 176 individuals are in hospital (17 more than August 27) and 91 are in intensive care units (seven fewer than August 27).
Tragically, seven new deaths were reported. The overall total number of fatalities is now at 1,814 people who have died of COVID-19-related reasons. The deaths include:
- three in Interior Health;
- two in Island Health;
- one in Fraser Health;
- one in Northern Health.
With 1,491 recoveries since August 27, a cumulative total of 157,419 people who tested positive have recovered.
B.C. has reported an overall total of 165,413 COVID-19 cases during the pandemic.
From August 13 to 26, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 81.7 percent of cases and 85.8 percent of hospitalizations.
Out of a total 4,565 COVID-19 cases from August 20 to 26, there were:
- 3,255 unvaccinated people (71.3 percent);
- 477 partially vaccinated (10.4 percent);
- 833 fully vaccinated (18.2 percent).
Out of a total of 217 hospitalized cases from August 13 to 26, there were:
- 172 unvaccinated people (79.3 percent);
- 14 partially vaccinated (6.5 percent);
- 31 fully vaccinated (14.3 percent).
For cases per 100,000 population from August 20 to 26, there were:
- 3 unvaccinated people;
- 1 partially vaccinated people;
- 2 fully vaccinated people.
Since December, B.C has administered 7,453,107 doses of Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca vaccines.
As of today, 84.2 percent (3,904,121) of eligible people 12 and older have received their first dose and 76.4 percent (3,541,731)received their second dose.
In addition, 84.9 percent (3,672,685) of all eligible adults have received their first dose and 77.5 percent (3,350,149) have received their second dose.
Outbreaks and exposures
The good news is that none of the five regional health authorities declared any new community outbreaks, business closures, or public exposure events.
Unfortunately, there are four new healthcare facility outbreaks.
Today, Fraser Health declared an outbreak at Chilliwack General Hospital, where three patients in a medicine unit have tested positive.
Northern Health declared an outbreak on August 28 at Fort St. John Hospital’s inpatient unit, after three patients and two staff tested positive.
On August 26, Interior Health declared an outbreak at Rose Woods Village in Trail.
Island Health declared an outbreak at Sunset Lodge in Victoria on August 27 after three staff members tested positive. As of today, 11 staff and 13 residents (a total of 24 cases) have now tested positive.
Currently, there are 18 active outbreaks, including:
- longterm care: Heritage Village (Fraser Health); Brock Fahrni (Vancouver Coastal Health); Village at Mill Creek, Nelson Jubilee Manor, Kootenay Street Village, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre, and Spring Valley Care Centre (Interior Health); and Sunset Lodge (Island Health);
- acute care: Peace Arch Hospital and Chilliwack General Hospital (Fraser Health); and Fort St. John Hospital (Northern Health);
- assisted or independent living: Nicola Meadows, Hawthorn Park, David Lloyd Jones, Sun Pointe Village, Hardy View Lodge, and Rose Woods Village (Interior Health).
Sobeys listed the Safeway at 500–2339 Highway 97 North in Kelowna as having an employee who tested positive and who last worked on August 19.
McDonald’s has listed two locations with employees who tested positive:
- one employee who last worked on August 22 at 7230 Park Street in Mission;
- one employee who last worked on August 26 at 310 15th Avenue in Prince George.
The B.C. Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC) added the following 33 domestic and international flights to its lists of potential public exposures (affected row information is listed at the BCCDC website when available):
- August 12: Japan Airlines Flight 18, Tokyo to Vancouver;
- August 13: Alaska Airlines Flight 2206, Seattle to Vancouver;
- August 15: Air Canada Flight 199, Toronto to Vancouver;
- August 15: WestJet Flight 3432, Victoria to Calgary;
- August 15: Air Canada 714, Vancouver to Toronto;
- August 17: Air Canada 126, Vancouver to Toronto;
- August 17: WestJet287, Calgary to Kelowna;
- August 17: WestJet Flight 601, Saskatoon to Calgary;
- August 17: Air Canada 8575, Saskatoon to Vancouver;
- August 17: Air Canada Flight 184, Vancouver to Toronto;
- August 18: Air Canada Flight 314, Vancouver to Winnipeg;
- August 19: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8187, Vancouver to Fort St. John;
- August 19: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8293, Castlegar to Vancouver;
- August 20: Air Canada Flight 116, Vancouver to Toronto;
- August 21: Flair Flight 400, Vancouver to Calgary;
- August 22: WestJet Flight 173, Edmonton to Vancouver;
- August 22: WestJet Flight 147, Winnipeg to Edmonton;
- August 22: WestJet Flight 173, Edmonton to Vancouver;
- August 22: WestJet Flight 3241, Calgary to Kelowna;
- August 22: WestJet Flight 3241, Calgary to Kamloops;
- August 23: Air Canada 113, Toronto to Vancouver;
- August 23: WestJet Flight 135, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 23: Air Canada Flight 555, Los Angeles to Vancouver;
- August 23: Air France Flight 374, Paris to Vancouver;
- August 23: Flair Flight 401, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 23: August 25 Air Canada Flight 342, Vancouver to Ottawa;
- August 24: Turkish Airline 75, Istanbul to Vancouver;
- August 25: Air Canada 301, Montreal to Vancouver;
- August 26: Air Canada 8840, Vancouver to San Francisco;
- August 26: Air Canada 311, Montreal to Vancouver;
- August 26: WestJet Flight 135, Calgary to Vancouver;
- August 26: KLM 681, Amsterdam to Vancouver;
- August 26: Air Canada/Jazz Flight 8840, Vancouver to San Francisco.