COVID-19 in B.C.: Public exposure incident at Surrey lounge, U.K. flight with confirmed case, and over 40 new cases

    1 of 3 2 of 3

      The number of new cases today is on par with high counts in recent weeks.

      Meanwhile, a public exposure incident took place in Surrey, and a flight from the U.K. has been confirmed with a COVID-19 connection.

      Daily COVID-19 update: August 5

      B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix issued a news release for today's provincial update.

      They confirmed 47 new cases (including one epi-linked case) today, which is among several high amounts reported in recent days.

      Currently, there are 351 active cases.

      The number of hospitalized cases continues to slowly increase: nine people are now in hospital, and six of those patients are in intensive-care units.

      The good news is that there are no new health-care outbreaks, leaving three active outbreaks, all at long-term care facilities.

      Also, there are no new community outbreaks.

      Thankfully, once again, there are no new deaths, leaving the total number of fatalities at 195.

      The cumulative provincial total is now at 3,834 cases. During the pandemic, there have been 1,132 cases in Vancouver Coastal Health; 2,015 in Fraser Health; 146 in Island Health; 384 in Interior Health; 91 in Northern Health; and 66 cases of people who live outside of Canada.

      A total of 3,288 people have now recovered.

      B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix
      Province of British Columbia

      Public exposure incidents

      Fraser Health has issued an alert for a public exposure incident at Hookah Lounge (10609 King George Highway) in Surrey. Anyone who was at the location from around midnight on July 31 to 4 a.m. on August 1 and from around midnight on August 1 to 5 a.m. on August 2 should monitor themselves for symptoms.

      Anyone who develops symptoms should immediately self-isolate and call 811 for testing.

      Meanwhile, news outlets have reported confirmed cases among firefighters and at Vancouver International Airport (YVR).

      CTV News reported on August 2 that two Vancouver firefighters tested positive for COVID-19 on July 30 and 31, and all contacts have been self-isolating.

      In addition, the Richmond News reported today that three screening officers at YVR have tested positive for the coronavirus and are in quarantine. The airport has over 700 screening officers.

      A new international flight that arrived at YVR has also been confirmed with COVID-19.

      Anyone in rows 12 to 14 and 18 on Air Canada Flight 855 (Lufthansa LH6812) from London, U.K., to Vancouver on July 28 should monitor themselves for symptoms for 14 days following the flight.

      If you develop symptoms, call 811 to arrange for testing and immediately self-isolate.

      B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix
      Province of British Columbia

      Self-isolation checks

      B.C. became the first province in Canada to require travellers to self-isolate upon their return, and similar measures have been adopted in other provinces and at the federal level.

      On August 4, the B.C. government released numbers of Service BC calls to assist returning travellers and temporary foreign workers undergoing their 14-day self-isolation period.

      Service BC employees have made over 8,500 phone calls to temporary foreign workers since isolation plans became mandatory for all international arrivals.

      In addition, staff also made over 51,000 calls as of July 23 to confirm that self-isolation plans were continuing.

      About 1,800 to 2,500 calls by over 20 staff members are being made each day to individuals in self-isolation.

      You can follow Craig Takeuchi on Twitter at @cinecraig or on Facebook.