The good news is that there have been no new outbreaks of the novel coronavirus in B.C. long-term care homes over the past 24 hours.
But the bad news is that the province recorded five more deaths from COVID-19, bringing the total up to 55 since the pandemic began.
In their daily update, Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry reported another 40 cases. That was up from 34 cases in the previous 24-hour period.
The provincial total of confirmed cases stands at 1,410, including 879 who've fully recovered.
The number in intensive care fell from 68 to 65 and the number hospitalized fell from 132 to 128.
"This is not the time to travel, unless absolutely necessary," Dix and Henry said in a joint statement. "Stay at home and be creative with how you connect and celebrate with family and friends. Find the virtue in virtual and telephone connections. Find togetherness without gathering.
“A reminder that while all B.C. Parks are closed, one can still enjoy some fresh air by going for walks or bike rides with your family in your neighbourhood and remembering to keep a safe distance."
B.C. has created a temporary 271-bed hospital at the Vancouver Convention Centre to handle non-COVID-19 patients should the coronavirus caseload increase sharply in other hospitals.
Another 80 new beds are ready at Royal Columbian Hospital in New Westminster.
"This is a critical step to ensure that B.C. is prepared for the worst as we work for the best outcome," Dix and Henry said. “Let’s continue to stand strong—united with kindness and care.”
Confirmed cases by region
* Vancouver Coastal Health: 629
* Fraser Health: 539
* Island Health: 84
* Interior Health: 132
* Northern Health: 26
The following assisted-living, long-term care, and seniors' rental buildings have past or ongoing COVID-19 outbreaks:
Vancouver Coastal Health region:
- Lynn Valley long-term care facility
- Hollyburn long-term care facility
- Haro Park long-term care facility
- Windermere Care Centre long-term care facility
- Royal Arch Masonic Home long-term care facility
- Berkley Care Centre long-term care facility
- Broadway Pentecostal Lodge long-term care facility
- Central City Lodge
- Amica, Edgemont
The following outbreaks have been declared over:
- German Canadian House long-term care facility
- Little Mountain long-term care facility
- Inglewood Lodge long-term care facility
- Villa Cathay long-term care facility
- Delta View long-term care facility
- Dufferin Care Centre (Coquitlam)
- Evergreen Heights (assisted living)
- The Harrison at Elim Village long-term care facility
- Langley Gardens long-term care facility
- Shaughnessy Care Centre long-term care facility
- Amica Retirement Home long-term care facility
- Langley Lodge long-term care facility
- Swedish Canadian Manor assisted living
- Cedarbrook Chateau independent living
- Worthington Pavilion – rehabilitation residence