If this past weekend's B.C. Beer Awards proved one thing, it's that the craft beer craze is not limited to the city of Vancouver... and that we have plenty of breweries to visit on our next road trip.
Although many local breweries went home with awards, a large number of brewers from the interior, northern B.C., Vancouver Island, and the Sunshine Coast were also honoured.
At the top of the podium this year winning the Best in Show award was Burnaby-based Steamworks Brewing Company, making brewmaster Julia Hanlon the first female brewer to win the award. In addition to Best in Show, the brewery took home a total of five awards: two for its Flagship IPA, and one each for its YVR ISA, Kolsch, and Pilsner.
The Rookie of the Year award went to Abbotsford's own Field House Brewing Co., while the People’s Choice award went to Boombox Brewing Company for its Pablo Esco Gnar IPA. (Boombox currently operates out of Callister Brewing).
See below for the full list of winners.
German pale lager
1. Red Racer Old School Lager, Central City Brewers + Distillers
2. Keller Pilsner, Persephone Brewing Company (Gibsons)
3. Steamworks Pilsner, Steamworks Brewing Company (Burnaby)
1. Steamworks Kolsch, Steamworks Brewing Company
2. High Country Kolsch, Mt. Begbie Brewing Co. (Revelstoke)
3. Arctic Kolsch, Swan’s Brewery (Victoria)
German amber beer
1. Gladstone Altbier, Gladstone Brewing Co. (Courtenay)
2. Vienna Lager, R&B Brewing Co. (Vancouver)
3. Pott Pils, Moon Under Water (Victoria)
European dark beer
1. Dark Lager, Steel & Oak Brewing Co. (New Westminster)
2. Baltic Porter, Cannery Brewing Company (Penticton)
3. Red Racer Dopplebock, Central City Brewers + Distillers
Honourable mention: Brewmaster’s Black Lager, Okanagan Spring Brewery (Vernon)
German wheat beer
1. Demimondaine Dunkleweizen, Barkerville Brewing Co. (Quesnel)
2. THIS IS HEFEWEIZEN, Moon Under Water
3. Weizenbock, Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
1. English Bitter, Foamers’ Folly Brewing (Pitt Meadows)
2. Red Devil Ale, R&B Brewing Co.
3. Beacon ESB, Lighthouse Brewing Company (Victoria)
British pale ale
1. Clover IPA, Big Ridge Brewing Co. (Surrey)
2. Paddywhack Organic IPA, Nelson Brewing Company (Nelson)
3. English IPA, Strathcona Beer Company (Vancouver)
British brown ale
1. After Dark Ale, Nelson Brewing Company
2. Tall Timber Ale, Mt. Begbie Brewing Co.
3. Aethelred the Mild, Foamers’ Folly Brewing Co.
Scottish and Irish ales
1. Classic Scotch, Steamworks Brewpub Gastown (Vancouver)
2. Irish Stout, Raven’s Brewing Company (Abbotsford)
3. 1880 Export Stout, Moody Ales
1. 52 Foot Stout, Barkerville Brewing Co.
2. Perfect Storm, Townsite Brewing Inc. (Abbotsford)
3. 710 Oaked Stout, Faculty Brewing Co. (Vancouver)
1. Thor’s Hammer, Central City Brewers + Distillers
2. Wee Heavy, Persephone Brewing Company
3. Wobbly Bob, Red Collar Brewing Company (Kamloops)
1. Pinot Noir Raspberry Blonde, Tin Whistle Brewing Company (Penticton)
2. Red Truck Raspberry Ale, Red Truck Beer Company (Vancouver)
3. Tropic Vice, Dead Frog Brewery (Aldergrove)
Smoke and wood-aged beer
1. Entropy Series No. 1, Dageraad Brewing (Burnaby)
2. Inertia II, Brassneck Brewery (Vancouver)
3. Thor’s Hammer, Central City Brewers + Distillers
1. Roggen Weizen, Steel & Oak Brewing Co.
2. Londen, Dageraad Brewing
3. Sour Wheat Gose, Field House Brewing Co. (Abbotsford)
North American light beer
1. Hooligan Organic Pilsner, Nelson Brewing Company
2. Jerkface 9000, Parallel 49 Brewing Co. (Vancouver)
3. Cypress Honey Lager, Granville Island Brewing (Vancouver)
North American blonde ale
1. Organic Wild Honey Ale, Nelson Brewing Company
2. Postmark Blonde, Postmark Brewing (Vancouver)
3. Dutch Pale Ale, Field House Brewing Co.
North American pale ale
1. Chase My Tail Pale Ale, Yellow Dog Brewing Co. (Port Moody)
2. One Hope Mind, Callister Brewing Company (Vancouver)
3. East Side Bitter, R&B Brewing Co.
North American amber ale
1. 33 Acres of Life, 33 Acres Brewing Company
2. Troller Bay Ale, Howe Sound Brewing (Squamish)
3. Thirsty Beaver Amber Ale, Tree Brewing Co. (Kelowna)
North American brown ale
1. Bandit Brown, Foamers’ Folly Brewing Co.
2. Slipstream, Phillips Brewing & Malting Co. (Victoria)
3. Kim-Ach-Touch Ale, Tree Brewing Co.
North American porter and stout
1. Commander Imperial Stout, Dead Frog Brewery
2. Stag and Pheasant Imperial Stout, Main Street Brewing Company (Vancouver)
3. Russian Imperial Stout, Moody Ales
North American IPA
1. Flagship IPA, Steamworks Brewing Company
2. Play Dead IPA, Yellow Dog Brewing Co.
3. The Ultra Deluxe, Boombox Brewing (Vancouver)
1. Blonde IPA, Dageraad Brewing
2. White ISA, Red Truck Beer Company
3. YVR ISA, Steamworks Brewing Company
1. 187 On An Undercover Hop, Parallel 49 Brewing Co.
2. Cosmic Wave Double IPA, Tofino Brewing Company
3. Second Anniversary Douple IPA, Main Street Brewing Company
1. Jongleur Wit, Strange Fellows Brewing Company (Vancouver)
2. Beir de Garde, Old Abbey Ales (Abbotsford)
3. White Gold Witbier, Barkerville Brewing Co.
Belgian Strong Ale
1. Dageraad Blonde, Dageraad Brewing
2. Saison #7, Main Street Brewing Company
3. Old Barn Saison, Fernie Brewing Company (Fernie)
1. 33 Acres of Euphoria, 33 Acres Brewing Company
2. Central City Belgian Strong, Central City Brewers + Distillers
3. 10 Degrees, Dageraad Brewing
Honourable mention: 8 Degrees, Dageraad Brewing
European Sour Ale
1. Raynard, Strange Fellows Brewing Company
2. Cantus Fermus, Main Street Brewing Company
3. Bizarro, Phillips Brewing & Malting Co.
North American Wild Ale
1. Bodhisattva, Parallel 49 Brewing Co.
2. Sour Raspberry, Old Abbey Ales
3. Little Red One, Strange Fellows Brewing Company