Walk behind mowers are a staple tool for any homeowner with a yard to maintain. These types of mowers come in a variety of styles, sizes, and capabilities. Walk-behind mowers are perfect for small to medium-sized lawns where maneuverability is key. When it comes to purchasing the best walk-behind mower, there are a few critical factors to consider. The most important thing to consider is the type of mower that will best suit your needs.
There are three primary types of walk-behind mowers: push mowers, self-propelled mowers, and electric mowers. Push mowers are the most basic type and require the user to supply all the power. Self-propelled mowers are ideal for larger lawns and come equipped with a motor that drives the wheels, making it easier to maneuver. Electric mowers are perfect for those who want to reduce their carbon footprint and avoid the hassle of gasoline.
When shopping for a walk-behind mower, it’s crucial to consider the size of your lawn. If you have a smaller lawn, a push mower may be all you need. However, if you have a larger lawn, a self-propelled mower may be the better option. Additionally, the cutting width of the mower is also an important factor to consider. A wider cutting width will allow you to cover more ground in less time.
We spent countless hours researching and testing various walk-behind mowers to identify the ones that provide the best performance and value. In the following sections, we will discuss the top walk-behind mowers that we recommend based on our testing and research.
Best Walk Behind Mowers
When it comes to maintaining a beautiful lawn, a walk-behind mower is an essential tool for many homeowners. Whether you have a small yard or a sprawling estate, there’s a walk-behind mower out there that’s perfect for your needs. In this roundup, we’ll be taking a look at some of the best walk-behind mowers currently available on Amazon. From gas-powered models to electric options, we’ve got you covered. Let’s dive in!
1. Earthquake Walk Behind String Mower
If you’re looking for a powerful and durable walk-behind string mower, the Earthquake Walk Behind String Mower with 160cc Viper 4-Cycle Engine might be just what you need.
- Powered by a strong, 160cc 4-Cycle Viper engine that effortlessly chops down weeds, brush, and other foliage.
- One-piece steel deck provides strength and stability while reducing vibration.
- Never-go-flat wheels ensure that your equipment is ready to go when you are.
- Pull starting the engine can be challenging for some users.
- The trimmer head can be a bit difficult to replace.
- The cutting height adjustment is not as precise as some users would like.
We recently had the opportunity to test the Earthquake Walk Behind String Mower, and we were impressed by its performance. The 160cc Viper engine packs a powerful punch, making quick work of even the most stubborn weeds and brush. The one-piece steel deck provides added stability and reduces vibration, which is a nice touch.
One of the standout features of this mower is the never-go-flat wheels. We’ve all been there – you’re ready to tackle your lawn, only to discover that your equipment has a flat tire. With this mower, that’s not an issue. The wheels are always ready to go, no matter how long it’s been since you last used the mower.
That being said, the pull start can be a bit challenging for some users. It may take a few tries to get the engine going, which can be frustrating. Additionally, some users have reported that replacing the trimmer head can be a bit difficult.
Finally, the cutting height adjustment is not as precise as some users would like. It can be a bit tricky to get the height exactly where you want it, which can be a bit frustrating.
Overall, we think the Earthquake Walk Behind String Mower is a solid choice for anyone in need of a powerful and durable walk-behind string mower.
2. TAZZ 40095 Walk-Behind String Mower/Trimmer
If you’re looking for a powerful mower that can handle thick grass and stubborn brush, the TAZZ 40095 Walk-Behind String Mower/Trimmer might be just what you need.
- The 160cc engine provides plenty of power to tackle tough jobs.
- The one-piece steel deck is strong and stable, reducing vibration.
- The large 14″ wheels allow you to easily navigate rugged terrain and dense vegetation.
- The cutting swath of 22″ may not be wide enough for some users.
- The machine is heavy, weighing in at 69.5 pounds.
- The engine can be difficult to start.
We recently had the opportunity to use the TAZZ 40095 Walk-Behind String Mower/Trimmer, and we were impressed with its power and versatility. The 160cc engine easily cleared thick grass, weeds, and other foliage around our fence lines, tree lines, and shorelines. We also appreciated the ability to clean up the edges of our yard in hard-to-reach corners where our regular mower couldn’t fit.
The one-piece steel deck provided strength and stability while reducing vibration, making it more comfortable to use for extended periods of time. We also found the large 14″ wheels to be a great feature, as they provided ample clearance and allowed us to float over rugged terrain and through dense vegetation.
However, we did find a few drawbacks to the TAZZ 40095. The cutting swath of 22″ may not be wide enough for some users, and the machine is quite heavy, weighing in at 69.5 pounds. We also had some difficulty starting the engine, which could be frustrating at times.
Overall, if you’re in need of a powerful mower that can handle tough jobs, the TAZZ 40095 Walk-Behind String Mower/Trimmer is definitely worth considering.
3. YARDMAX 21 in. 170cc 2-in-1 Gas Walk Behind Push Lawn Mower
If you’re looking for an entry-level mower that’s easy to maneuver and has a lot of power, the YARDMAX 21″ 2-in-1 high-rear-wheel walk-behind manual push mower is a great choice.
- The single-lever deck adjustment makes it quick and easy to set your mow height.
- The MAXFlow Deck Technology with volute spiral deck design provides better airflow and mulching.
- The heavy-duty, 16-gauge stamped steel deck is durable and reduces vibration.
- The double-ball-bearing wheels make it easy to mow, but they may not be as durable as other types of wheels.
- The three-position handle height adjustment may not be enough for taller or shorter users.
- The mower may not be suitable for larger lawns or tougher mowing conditions.
We’ve used this mower on smaller lawns and found it to be easy to maneuver and lightweight. The single-lever deck adjustment is a great feature that makes it easy to set the mow height quickly. The MAXFlow Deck Technology also provides better airflow and mulching, which helps to improve the overall quality of the cut.
One thing to keep in mind is that the double-ball-bearing wheels may not be as durable as other types of wheels, so you may need to replace them more frequently. Additionally, the three-position handle height adjustment may not be enough for taller or shorter users, so you may need to find a workaround if that’s the case.
Overall, we think the YARDMAX 21″ 2-in-1 high-rear-wheel walk-behind manual push mower is a great choice for those with smaller lawns who want a mower that’s easy to maneuver and has a lot of power.
4. Toro 58620 Walk Behind String Mower
We highly recommend the Toro 58620 Walk Behind String Mower for those looking for a reliable and efficient mower.
- Starts up easily with just one pull
- Cuts through tall weeds and grass with ease
- Minimal assembly required
- Cutting lines wear out quickly
- Not strong enough for cutting thick brush
- Can be tough on the string when cutting through saplings
We were impressed with how easily this mower started up with just one pull. It also cut through tall weeds and grass with ease, making our mowing experience quick and efficient. The minimal assembly required was also a plus.
However, we did notice that the cutting lines wore out quickly, and the mower was not strong enough for cutting through thick brush. It was also tough on the string when cutting through saplings.
Overall, the Toro 58620 Walk Behind String Mower is a great choice for those needing a reliable mower for regular lawn maintenance.
5. BILT HARD Walk Behind String Trimmer
If you’re looking for a powerful and sturdy walk-behind string trimmer, the BILT HARD Walk Behind String Trimmer is a great choice.
- The 160cc 4-cycle OHV engine provides ample cutting power and the manual recoil easy start ignition system makes it easy to start.
- The one-piece steel deck provides strength and stability while reducing vibration, and the heavy-duty nylon line clears a path 22 inches wide through the thickest grass and weeds.
- The never-go-flat 14-inch wheels allow this gas-powered string trimmer to tackle all terrains, and the foldable ergonomic handle offers enhanced grip and compact storage.
- The assembly process might take a while.
- The warranty is provided by the manufacturer, which might be less convenient than Amazon’s returns policy.
- It might be a bit heavy for some users.
We’ve been using the BILT HARD Walk Behind String Trimmer for a while now, and we’re impressed with its performance. The engine is powerful and starts easily, and the steel deck and nylon line are durable and effective.
One of the things we like about this string trimmer is its versatility. It can get into spaces along a fence line, obstacle, or other tricky spots where standard mowers can’t, making it perfect for clearing overgrown tall grass and light brush.
Another feature we appreciate is the never-go-flat wheels. They make it easy to maneuver the trimmer on all kinds of terrain, and the foldable handle makes it easy to store.
Overall, we think the BILT HARD Walk Behind String Trimmer is a great choice for anyone looking for a powerful and versatile string trimmer.
6. Great States 415-16 16-Inch Reel Mower
If you’re looking for a lightweight and eco-friendly way to maintain your lawn, the Great States 415-16 16-Inch Reel Mower might be a good option for you.
- This manual mechanical mower has a quick, adjustable cutting height of 1″-2.5″ for a clean and even cut.
- The 16″ cutting width, 5-blade ball bearing reel, and 10″ composite wheels make this lawn mower easy to maneuver.
- The high-quality heat-treated alloy steel blades stay sharp longer than other reel mowers.
- This push blade mower requires some physical effort to use, especially on thicker grass.
- The mower is not suitable for very tall grass.
- The T-style cushioned grip on the handle could be more comfortable.
We recently had the chance to try out the Great States 415-16 16-Inch Reel Mower, and we were impressed by its performance. The mower is easy to assemble and use, and it provides a clean and even cut on most types of grass.
One of the things we like about this mower is its adjustable cutting height. With a range of 1″-2.5″, you can easily customize the height of your lawn to your liking. The 16″ cutting width is also a plus, as it allows you to cover more ground with each pass.
The Great States 415-16 16-Inch Reel Mower is also very lightweight, which makes it easy to maneuver around obstacles in your lawn. The 5-blade ball bearing reel and 10″ composite wheels also help with maneuverability.
While we found the mower to be effective on most types of grass, we did notice that it required more effort to use on thicker grass. Additionally, the T-style cushioned grip on the handle could be more comfortable.
Overall, we think the Great States 415-16 16-Inch Reel Mower is a good option for those who want an eco-friendly and easy-to-use lawn mower. However, it might not be the best choice for those with very tall or thick grass.
When choosing the best walk behind mower, there are a few key features to consider.
First, consider the size of your lawn. If you have a smaller lawn, a push mower may be sufficient. For larger lawns, a self-propelled or riding mower may be necessary.
Next, consider the type of terrain you will be mowing. If you have hills or uneven terrain, a mower with larger wheels and adjustable cutting height may be necessary.
Another important feature to consider is the cutting width. A wider cutting width can save time and effort, but may not be necessary for smaller lawns.
Finally, consider the type of grass you will be mowing. Different types of grass may require different cutting heights and blade styles.
When making your decision, be sure to read reviews and compare features to find the best walk behind mower for your needs.
Features to Consider
|Size||Consider the size of your lawn to determine if a push, self-propelled, or riding mower is necessary.|
|Terrain||If you have hills or uneven terrain, look for a mower with larger wheels and adjustable cutting height.|
|Cutting Width||A wider cutting width can save time and effort, but may not be necessary for smaller lawns.|
|Grass Type||Different types of grass may require different cutting heights and blade styles.|
That’s it for the buying guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
What brand of lawn mower is the most reliable?
When it comes to reliability, there are a few brands that stand out. Some of the most reliable brands of lawn mowers include Honda, Toro, and Husqvarna. These brands are known for producing high-quality mowers that are built to last.
What self-propelled lawn mower is best?
There are many great self-propelled lawn mowers on the market, but some of the best include the Honda HRX217VKA, the Toro Recycler 20333, and the Husqvarna LC221RH. These mowers are all highly rated and offer excellent performance and reliability.
What is the best size walk behind mower?
The best size walk behind mower depends on the size of your lawn. For small lawns, a 21-inch mower is usually sufficient, while larger lawns may require a 30-inch or 36-inch mower. It’s important to choose a mower that is the right size for your lawn to ensure that you get the best possible results.
Are walk behind mowers worth it?
Walk behind mowers are definitely worth it if you have a lawn that is too small for a riding mower. They are easy to use, affordable, and can provide excellent results when used correctly. If you have a small lawn and want to keep it looking great, a walk behind mower is a great investment.
What is the price range for a commercial walk-behind mower?
The price range for a commercial walk-behind mower can vary widely depending on the brand, size, and features. Generally, you can expect to pay anywhere from $1,500 to $5,000 for a high-quality commercial walk-behind mower.
What are the benefits of a self-propelled lawn mower?
Self-propelled lawn mowers offer a number of benefits over traditional push mowers. They are easier to use, require less effort to operate, and can provide a more even cut. Additionally, self-propelled mowers are great for people with physical limitations or health issues that make it difficult to push a heavy mower.