Every Christmas Day I wonder where I might go on the Westside of Vancouver to get a hot coffee, a bite, a live plug-in and a strong Wi-Fi signal. This year I’m wondering with only three days to spare, which is just not enough time to make the hundreds of necessary phone calls.
At least I can confirm that a few restaurants and coffee houses will be open on December 25 in and around the Fairview neighbourhood (which is my personal concern).
McDonald's (these locations were confirmed by the franchisee John Marsh)
- Blenheim & Broadway—3308 West Broadway, Vancouver: 24 hours
- Davie & Cardero—1610 Davie Street, Vancouver: 24 hours
- Smithe—891 Granville Street, Vancouver: 24 hours
- UBC—101 5728 University Boulevard, Vancouver: 24 hours
Starbucks (the location finder erroneously lists a lot as open. (The following locations were confirmed by phone.)
- Broadway & Granville—2505 Granville Street, Vancouver: 8:30 a.m-5:00 p.m.
- Burrard—1855 Burrard Street, Vancouver: 8:30 a.m.–5:00 p.m.
- Granville & 2nd—1500 W. 2nd Avenue, Vancouver: 8:30 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Oak & 12th—2787 Laurel Street, Vancouver: 6:30 a.m.-4 p.m.
Waves Coffee House (hours are from the store locator but I confirmed Hastings hours by phone. (Most others I called will be closed.)
- Chinatown—495 Main Street, Vancouver, (604) 568-9283: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Hastings—492 W. Hastings Street,Vancouver, (604) 568-8568: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
White Spot (I confirmed the following location by phone. See store locator for other locations.)
- Kingsway & Knight—1476 Kingsway, Vancouver, (604) 874-2825: 11 a.m.–3 p.m.
I’m guessing that all locations of Denny’s, the 24-restaurant, will be open on Christmas Day, same as every other day.
While I would be happier to have many more locations on this list—particularly independent coffee houses and restaurants—the above bit of detective work was frankly enough to tucker me out. Next year I promise to start earlier.