Vancouver and British Columbia have been among the communities in the world who have led the way in addressing HIV and AIDS issues.
Consequently, Positive Living BC launched AccolAIDS in 2002, an awards gala to celebrate and honour the outstanding achievements made by individuals, groups, organizations, and businesses in addressing HIV and AIDS.
This year, the biennial evening will be held on April 22.
AccolAIDS is seeking nominations for the awards and the deadline is only a few weeks away on March 2 (by 5 p.m.).
Nominations can be made in the following award categories:
- youth leader: for youth leadership in education, philanthropy, activism, services, and/or community development initiatives
- Kevin Brown Positive Hero Award: named after one of Positive Living BC's founding members and first board of directors chair, this award recognizes an individual with HIV/AIDS for her or his contributions to the HIV/AIDS movement
- philanthropy: for voluntary charitable efforts that contribute time, resources, and financial support for the benefit of a specific cause and human welfare
- social/political/community action: for initiatives that have caused a change in public policy or process related to HIV/AIDS
- innovative policy, programs, and services: for HIV/AIDS–specific policy, programs, or services
- science/research/technology: which includes advances in clinical practice that have improved the lives of people with HIV/AIDS
- Panel's Merit: the nominations advisory panel names this award (which has previously been named the Leadership Legacy, Above and Beyond, and Unsung Heroes) to recognize unique contributions from candidates nominated in other award categories or for those who may not be covered by the other categories
- AccolAIDS “People’s Choice” Community Award: by mid-March, all nominees submitted by the deadline (March 2) will be posted on the AccolAIDS website, allowing website visitors to vote for who should win this award
For full details, including nomination forms and guidelines, visit the AccolAIDS website.