While a B.C.–based tea initiated a recall for potential Salmonella contamination last week, another company announced a recall for its teas for the same reason this week.
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) announced on March 27 that Lee’s Provisions Inc. issued a national recall for some of its Lee’s Tea brand products from the marketplace due to possible Salmonella contamination.
Since that time, two series of corrections have been issued to amend the list of affected products.
The updated list of affected products are as follows:
- Gold Rush Loose Leaf (105 grams) with codes 4-102318, 04-23018, 2021FE11, 2021FE15, 04-02011, 04-02021 and UPC number 6 28055 21002 3
- Gold Rush Loose Leaf (110 grams) with code 2020DE07 and UPC number 6 28055 21002 3
- Mint Chill Loose Leaf (60 grams) with codes 2-102518, 02-25018, 02-01019, 02-19018, and 02-02021 and UPC number 6 28055 21003 0
- Mint Chill Loose Leaf (70 grams) with code 2020DE07 and UPC number 6 28055 21003 0
- Original Loose Leaf (50 grams) with codes 2020DE07 and 2020MR21 and UPC number 6 28055 21001 6
- Original Loose Leaf (60 grams) with codes 1-101918, 01-19018, 1-102518, and 01-25018 and UPC number 6 28055 21001 6
- Pink Chai Loose Leaf (30 grams) with code 3062718 and UPC number 6 28055 21014 6
- Pink Chai Loose Leaf (90 grams) with codes 3-112018, 3-102518, 03-25018, 2020DE07, and 2021JA07, 2021JA23, 2021FE05, 2021FE11, 03-02021, 03-01019, 03-19018, and 03-02011, and UPC number 6 28055 21004 7
Anyone with these products should dispose of them or return them to the place of purchase.
So far there haven’t been any reported illnesses connected to these products.
Anyone who becomes ill after consuming a recalled product should contact their doctor.
Information about Salmonella, including symptoms, risks, and treatment, can be found on the Health Canada website.
On March 21, the CFIA announced that OM Foods Inc., based in Nelson, B.C., was recalling two of its Organic Matters organic teas due to possible Salmonella contamination: Organic Tulsi Tea Blend (Holy Basil) and Organic OM Tea Blend.
Meanwhile another tea product undergoing a recall is Mixed Pumpkin Yam Tea (with Korean characters on its packaging), sold in 255 gram packages with UPC number 8 809257 330883.
However, unlike the other teas, this product is being recalled in British Columbia and Alberta due to undeclared milk.