Health Canada orders recall of window blinds due to strangulation and choking hazards for children

The product was distributed by Bed Bath & Beyond in North Vancouver

    1 of 2 2 of 2

      Health Canada has issued an immediate recall of a window-blind product that poses both strangulation and choking hazards to children.

      The recall is for MyHome GII Morningstar Cordless Blind, which is made in China and distributed in Canada by Bed Bath and Beyond in North Vancouver.

      Consumers in possession of the product are asked to cease using it immediately and to keep any cords away from children.

      The federal agency noted in a August 26 alert that children can become tangled in blind cords, which can quickly result in strangulation and death. It said the the design of the recalled product allowed exposed operating cords that could create loops. Such loops could be pulled around a child's neck, creating a strangulation hazard.

      It also said the product can "release small parts that present a choking hazard to young children".

      Health Canada said that as of August 22, 2022, the company had not received any reports of injuries or incidents in Canada due to use of the product.

      MyHome GII Morningstar Cordless Blind
      Health Canada

      It also said that the company reported selling 169 of the units online in Canada between May and July 2022.

      On its website, the agency described the recalled product as one-inch PVC blinds of different sizes, from 72 inches to 18 inches wide and 42, 48, 64, or 72 inches in length. They  were custom-ordered online in white, alabaster, woodtone, grey, or black colours.

      Consumers who may have purchased the blinds were reminded in the alert that under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, no recalled product can be resold or given away in Canada.

      If you bought or possess the recalled product, you can contact Bed Bath & Beyond by calling toll-free at 1-800-462-3966, from 7 a.m. to midnight (ET) or by email.

      For more information on window-covering cord hazards, go here.