Metro Vancouver will have a second Cineplex theatre devoted to event-based cinema—this time on the North Shore.
Today (August 31), Cineplex announced that Cineplex Odeon Park and Tilford Cinemas, located at 200–333 Brooksbank Avenue in North Vancouver, will become dedicated to one-night-only and series-based screenings.
The format will be like the event cinema at Cambie Street's Park Theatre.
The theatre is one of 10 new event screens across the country that will add up to a total of 22 Cineplex event-based cinemas.
Screenings will include theatre, music concerts, classic films, dance, family entertainment, anime, travel, Met Opera performances, limited engagement presentations, holiday programming, archival TV series episodes, and more.
Cineplex event cinema vice-president Brad LaDouceur explained in a news release that the change is in response to increase demand for event cinema programming.
Fall film programming at the theatre will include screenings of:
- the Stage Series, featuring performances from Ontario's Stratford Festival;
- In the Gallery series, featuring exhibitions by Salvador Dalí, Gustav Klimt, Egon Schiele, and Edgar Degas;
- dance performances by the Bolshoi Ballet and the Australian Ballet;
- Met Opera performances including Aida and Marnie; concerts by Jonas Kaufmann and Edinburgh Military Tattoo
- family films, such as E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial and Show Dogs, and classics like Psycho.
Also on the North Shore, in May 2017, Cineplex announced that it is developing a new multiplex at West Vancouver's Park Royal Shopping Centre which will span over 44,000 square feet, will include adults-only VIP Cinemas, and is slated to open later this year.