Vancouver chefs Ned Bell and Alex Chen among competitors on debut season of Iron Chef Canada
Two Vancouver chefs are among 10 competitors set to appear on Iron Chef Canada’s first season.
Ned Bell, Ocean Wise executive chef and the Vancouver Club’s recently named culinary director, and Alex Chen, executive chef at Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar, will participate in separate episodes of the culinary throwdown, which will see chefs from around Canada challenging one of five Canadian Iron Chefs in a secret-ingredient cook-off.
Announced earlier this month, Iron Chef Canada’s Canadian Iron Chefs are Hugh Acheson, Amanda Cohen, Lynn Crawford, Sursur Lee, and Vancouver’s own Rob Feenie. The program will be hosted by culinary expert Gail Simmons, with food critic Chris Nuttall-Smith serving as floor reporter and Vancouver actor Jai West as chairman.
Guest judges throughout the series’ debut season include Vancouver-based restaurant critic Alexandra Gill and local blogger and Top Chef Canada resident judge Mijune Pak. The show is based on the Japanese cooking program, Iron Chef, which ran from 1993 to 1999.
Check out the full list of competitors appearing on the first season of Iron Chef Canada below:
- Jason Bangerter, Cambridge, Ont. — Executive Chef, Langdon Hall Country House Hotel and Spa
- Ned Bell, Vancouver, B.C. — Executive Chef, Ocean Wise program at the Vancouver Aquarium
- Alex Chen, Vancouver, B.C. — Executive Chef, Boulevard Kitchen & Oyster Bar
- John Horne, Toronto, Ont. — Executive Chef, Canoe
- Marc Lepine, Ottawa, Ont. — Chef and Owner, Atelier
- Nick Liu, Toronto, Ont. — Chef and Owner, DaiLo and LoPan
- Brandon Olsen, Toronto, Ont. — Chef and Owner, La Banane and CXBO Chocolates
- René Rodriguez, Ottawa, Ont. — Chef, COMMON Eatery
- Danny “Smiles” Francis, Montreal, Que. — Chef de Cuisine, Le Bremner
- Laura White, Toronto, Ont. — Pastry Chef, Forno Cultura
Iron Chef Canada premieres October 17 at 10 p.m. PT on Food Network Canada.