Catch a Studio Ghibli classic on the big screen as part of VIFF’s year-round programming
If you’re a fan of Hayao Miyazaki’s gorgeous animated works, but weren’t of movie-going age in the 80s and 90s, you’ll want to listen up.
As part of VIFF’s year-round programming, a dozen Studio Ghibli films will be brought back to the big screen, allowing a younger generation to finally see some of their favourite movies in theatres.
As just part one of the complete Ghibli retrospective, VIFF is focusing on films released between 1984’s Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and 1999’s My Neighbors the Yamadas. Part two, which will feature more modern films from the studio, is expected to be announced soon.
“Fans will need no encouragement to dive back into these lovely movies on the big screen,” says VIFF year-round programmer Tom Charity on the site.
“Newcomers are invited to expect a fantastical cinema imbued with a palpable sense of the sublime, featuring plucky, curious heroines, fabulous contraptions, endearing, mythical creatures, and a living, breathing world which is both familiar and thrillingly unexpected.”
Here’s a full list of Studio Ghibli films you can check out between now and March 25:
- Castle in the Sky: Wednesday, March 15 at 8:15pm
- My Neighbor Totoro: Wednesday, March 15 at 3pm; Thursday, March 16 at 8:15 pm; and Sunday, March 19 at 5:10pm
- Kiki’s Delivery Service: Thursday, March 16 at 3pm; Friday, March 17 at 8:20pm
- Only Yesterday: Friday, March 17 at 3pm; Saturday, March 18 at 6:10pm
- Grave of the Fireflies: Saturday, March 18 at 8:30pm; Sunday, March 19 at 8pm
- Porco Rosso: Monday, March 20 at 3pm; Tuesday, March 21 at 8:30pm
- Ocean Waves: Tuesday, March 21 at 3pm; Wednesday, March 22 at 8:30pm
- Pom Poko: Wednesday, March 22 at 3pm; Thursday, March 23 at 8:20pm
- Whisper of the Heart: Thursday, March 23 at 3pm; Friday, March 24 at 5:20pm
- My Neighbor the Yamadas: Friday, March 24 at 3pm; Saturday, March 25 at 5:30pm
- Princess Mononoke: Friday, March 24 at 7:40pm; Saturday, March 25 at 12pm
Viewings of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind have already passed, unfortunately.
All screenings will be at the VIFF Centre at Vancity Theatre, and each film will have at least one viewing with subtitles.
We expect more info on VIFF: Studio Ghibli Part 2 to come shortly.
Ticket bookings can be done at VIFF’s website, with Adult tickets going for $15 each, Seniors (65+) for $13, Students, Accessible, and Youth for $10, and Youth (12 and under) for $8.