Five suspects have allegedly conducted several thefts of mail from Burnaby apartment buildings over the last few weeks.
According the Burnaby RCMP, the typical modus operandi for the suspects is to access an apartment building usually during the night to steal contents from mailboxes in only a few minutes.
The suspects have cleared out over one hundred mailboxes but investigators remain uncertain if the suspects are coordinating efforts together or are working independently.
Burnaby RCMP released images of the suspects (above) in addition to surveillance footage (below) that captured the suspects using tools to pry open mailboxes and parcel lockers to stealing mail and packages.
Thieves can take information from mail and sources such as publicly available social media to conduct identity theft and fraud.
RCMP are advising residents to:
- clear out mail daily (as in the video, most of the mailboxes still have mail in them despite these thefts occurring overnight);
- have mail redirected or have someone collect your mail during absences;
- don't allow anyone unrecognized to enter the building;
- notify Canada Post of any change of addresses immediately;
- if you become a victim of mail theft, contact a credit bureau to place a fraud alert on your credit report;
- report any suspicious activity immediately.
Anyone with information about these incidents or individuals is asked to call Burnaby RCMP at 604-646-9999 or, to remain anonymous, Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.