York Factory Chief Leroy Constant issues statement about RCMP search for Kam McLeod and Bryer Schmegelsky

    1 of 1 2 of 1

      Update (July 30): Manitoba RCMP announced that after a thorough search, they were unable to confirm that the suspects were in York Landing and have withdrawn RCMP from the area. For more details, see this article

      People living in York Landing, Manitoba, are on high alert after a tip that two B.C. fugitives might be in their community.

      Two men were spotted rummaging for food near the garbage dump by Indigenous patrollers with the Bear Clan, who notified the RCMP.

      Kam McLeod, 19, and Bryer Schmegelsky, 18, have been charged with second-degree murder in the death of UBC botany instructor Len Dyck near Dease Lake, B.C.

      The two are also suspected of killing tourists Chynna Deese and Lucas Fowler along the Alaska Highway near Liard Hot Springs.

      The elected chief of the York Factory First Nation, Leroy Constant, has issued the following statement on Facebook about the RCMP's search for McLeod and Schmegelsky.

      "Police have deployed multiple resources in the area of York Landing, MB and in attempts to apprehend the suspects.

      "The (2) suspects are still at large and have NOT been caught. RCMP will remain on scene with Helicopter, Dogs & Emergency Response Team. They will remain until further notice.

      "ERT are conducting ground searches with dogs and heavily armoured officers.

      "Currently, Heavy winds are limiting helicopter and drones.

      "We are urging everyone to remain indoors with windows and doors locked. Patrols of the community will be done on a 24 hour basis.

      "I will be available by social media and on my landline.

      "We will provide updates as soon as we hear from RCMP."

      York Landing is about 80 kilometres west of Gillam, where the search had been concentrated.

      A vehicle carrying the teens across four provinces had been abandoned in the area around Gillam.

      Meanwhile, the Mounties have stated on Twitter that no suspects are in custody.