After shooting at Burnaby gas station, 28-year-old male dies from injuries on January 19

    1 of 1 2 of 1

      Amid a weekend of violence, a third homicide has been reported to have taken place yesterday in Metro Vancouver.

      Around 6:30 p.m. on January 19, Burnaby RCMP received reports about a shooting at a Chevron gas station at 4487 Canada Way.

      Officers found a man, identified as 28-year-old Julian Johnson, suffering from gunshot wounds at the scene.

      After he was taken to hospital, he died from his injuries. He was known to police and his death is believed to be a targeted one connected to the Lower Mainland gang conflict.

      A black Nissan Rogue was identified as a suspect vehicle that left the gas station and headed east on Highway 1.

      Later that evening, Langley RCMP received a report about a vehicle on fire in the area of 206A Street and 73B Avenue in Langley. The burnt vehicle is believed to be the suspect vehicle from the shooting.

      The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT) has taken over the case and is working with both Burnaby and Langley RCMP, the B.C. Coroners Service, and the Integrated Forensic Identification Service in gathering evidence.

      Investigators are seeking dashcam footage from Highway 1 between 6:30 and 7 p.m. or near 206A Street and 73B Avenue in Langley between 9:15 and 10 p.m. on January 19.

      “This was a brazen shooting in a public place and we are relieved no one else was hurt,” IHIT Sgt. spokesperson Frank Jang stated in a news release. “Significant progress is being made in these early stages. Our investigators are pursuing several leads and we need everyone with information to contact us so we can maintain the momentum on this fast-moving investigation.”

      Anyone with information is asked to contact IHIT by phone on their information line at 1-877-551-4448 or by email. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

      Also this past weekend, an unidentified male was discovered dead in the Cineplex Marine Gateway parking lot on January 18, followed by a 45-year-old woman was found deceased at her residence in Gastown on January 19.