Vancouver police issue another plea for witnesses to serious assault in West End—this time with surveillance video

    1 of 3 2 of 3

      At 12:40 a.m. on November 30, a man was viciously assaulted on Thurlow Street just north of Davie Street in Vancouver.

      Andrew Kurra, 46, suffered a brain injury after being beaten so severely that police weren't able to interview him.

      Investigators believe that the assailant walked away from the scene of the crime with two other unknown people, travelling north on Thurlow Street.

      Today, the VPD issued another plea for witnesses to step forward.

      Police also released separate videos of two men and one women who were in the vicinity of the attack and who might shed light on what happened to Kurra.

      "We want to speak with these individuals," VPD Sgt. Aaron Roed said. "They may have valuable information that could help us and just don’t know that they do.”

      In one of the videos, two men are seen walking on a wide sidewalk away from a camera until the seven-second mark. At that point, they turn around and face the camera from a distance.

      This video shows two men walking in the area where an attack occurred.
      Vancouver Police Department

      One man is wearing a military-style jacket and glasses with a bag over his left shoulder; the other man is wearing a dark jacket and light-coloured pants. Each of them are wearing hats.

      In the second video, a woman is seen walking briskly away from the camera while holding a shopping bag in her right hand, a bag over her left shoulder, and another object in her left hand.

      This video shows a woman walking not far from the scene of the crime.

      In December, Kurra's sister, Pam Loewen, described him as "extremely generous" and "super kind".

      She told CTV News Vancouver that Kurra is gay and she worried that this might be why he was targeted.

      A GoFundMe page has raised $52,020 toward a goal of $100,000 to cover Kurra's medical, legal, and rehabilitation costs.

      Earlier this month, Kurra came out of his coma and he's relearning how to speak and walk, according to the GoFundMe page.

      Eventually, he will move in with Loewen, who will become his full-time caregiver.

      "I am so happy he is alive," she wrote on the GoFundMe page. "His doctors and nurses have been so amazing with his care."