The day before Canadian journalist Mohamed Fahmy returns to a Cairo courtroom, he's received an encouraging message from the Canadian government.
Minister of State (Foreign affairs and Consular) Lynne Yelich has called on the Egyptian government to use "all tools" at its disposal to facilitate Fahmy's "immediate return" to Canada.
"We ask that all branches of the Egyptian government work in a concerted manner to address the situation of Mr. Fahmy," she said in a statement.
Yelich also said, "Canada calls on the Egyptian government to protect the rights of all individuals, including journalists, in keeping with the spirit of Egypt’s new constitution and its transition to democracy."
Fahmy, a former Al Jazeera English bureau chief, is scheduled to hear a verdict on Sunday (August 2).
He and coaccused, Egyptian journalist Baher Mohamed, are charged with spreading false news and supporting terrorism while working for the Qatar-government-owned network.
Fahmy, Mohamed, and freed Australian journalist Peter Greste have vehemently denied allegations that they assisted the banned Muslim Brotherhood.
Greste was deported from Egypt after serving time in prison along with Fahmy and Mohamed. Fahmy told the Straight earlier this month that the Australian is still on trial in absentia and he continues being supported by his government.
In addition to issuing her statement, Yelich also sent out five tweets, three in English and two in French.
Fahmy would like to return to Vancouver, where he lived in the mid to late 1990s.
He's sued Al Jazeera in B.C. Supreme Court. He's alleged that the Qatar-based news network's conduct contributed to him being imprisoned in Egypt for more than 400 days before he was let out on bail for a retrial.
The Georgia Straight reported earlier this month that the UBC Graduate School of Journalism has offered Fahmy work as an adjunct professor.
Fahmy has renounced his dual Egyptian citizenship, which is a requirement for him to be deported under an Egyptian law.