Man who lived in a storage locker paid staff for electricity

    1 of 1 2 of 1

      One of the hottest viral videos over the past week was about a millennial who turned a 10x10x6-foot storage locker into a tiny apartment.

      It only cost him $205 per month, including insurance, and another $100 to convert it into a livable pad for two months. That was because he already had lots of stuff needed to fill his suite.

      "So if you're going to live in a storage unit, you're going to need to be as invisible as you can possibly can be," the man says in the video. "You basically need to be a ghost. If anybody finds out you're here, that's when you start running into trouble."

      He kept his identity secret.

      Those who've seen the video are aware of the various tricks he employed, including running an extention cord along the power cable, held togehter with a zip tie, to bring power to his unit. He also attached an antenna so he could get a cell signal when the door was closed.

      Perhaps even more remarkably, he created a system where he could have running water. There was also a toaster oven in his apartment, as well as a bed, bar, dishes, cutting board, hot plate, clothing rack, TV, and even a paper-towel holder.

      "The only real thing I don't have in here is a washer and dryer, which is not a problem because I can just go to the laundromat for that sort of stuff," he says.

      The man offered more details in an AMA on Reddit, revealing that he showers at the community centre and uses a bathroom that's in the same building as his storage locker.

      He also noted that staff at the storage-locker facility knew about him taking electricity and for this, he was charged $5 per month.

      The most important consideration was keeping quiet when other customers showed up on the premises.

      "I could put my TV on really loud and with the door shut you couldn't hear anything farther than 1 unit away," he wrote on the AMA.  "Neighbors only came to their units a couple of times a month for 10 minutes and I would be quite when I heard them opening their units.  The way the place was I could hear everything outside but nobody could hear inside."