Three tourists hit in Vancouver bus accident identified as family members from Massachusetts

    1 of 1 2 of 1

      The Vancouver Police Department confirmed that the three people involved in a bus accident on August 13 were all family members who were visiting from Massachusetts.

      Just after 10 a.m. on August 13, the tour bus collided with an SUV parked near Canada Place, hitting pedestrians standing near the vehicle. According to police, the bus was travelling at low speed when the accident happened.

      A 15-year-old girl suffered minor injuries while an elderly man was hospitalized with serious injuries.

      A 49-year-old man died in the crash. News reports have identified him as Dr. Michael Plevyak, an obstetrician at Baystate Health, who was on vacation with his wife, two children, and an older family member.

      The Vancouver Trolley Company, the family-run business which has operated in the city for over 20 years and runs the vehicle involved, released a statement in response to the incident.

      "All of us at Vancouver Trolley Company are shocked and deeply saddened about yesterday’s tragic accident. Honestly it’s shaken us in a way we could never have been prepared for. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people who have been deeply and directly affected and their families. We can only imagine their pain and suffering."

      The driver involved in the accident has been with the company for seven years and has a perfect driving record with the National Safety Code office.

      The company's vehicles are inspected every six months by a licensed, independent inspector.

      The cause of the crash is still under investigation.

      Investigators have asked any witnesses to contact them at 604-717-3012.

      The bus collision occurred one day before a stuntperson died in the area.

      On August 14, Joi "SJ" Harris was performing a motorcycle stunt on the film production of Deadpool 2 near the Shaw Tower in Coal Harbour when she died in an accident. Vancouver police stated that WorkSafeBC and the B.C. Coroners Service are investigating the incident.