Update: Vancouver police identify man found dead in hotel parkade after Coal Harbour shooting

    1 of 1 2 of 1

      Update (September 16):

      The Vancouver Police Department (VPD) announced today that the man found dead in an underground parkade of the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel on the afternoon of September 15 is 35-year-old Amandeep Manj.

      In addition, a vehicle was found on fire today that could be related to the homicide. 

      “Early this morning, witnesses called police to report a vehicle on fire near Charles and Penticton streets in East Vancouver,” VPD spokesperson Const. Tania Visintin. “Our investigators are working to determine if there is a connection between this arson and yesterday’s murder.”

      Original article (September 15):

      After a shooting took place this afternoon in a tourist area of Vancouver’s Coal Harbour, one man was found dead and a homicide investigation is underway.

      According to the Vancouver Police Department (VPD), officers responded around 3:30 p.m. today (September 15) to a report about a man found unresponsive on Level 3 of the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel parkade near Cordova and Burrard streets.

      Paramedics also attended the location and the man was pronounced dead at the scene. His death is the 13th homicide in the city this year. The VPD have not yet released his identity.

      VPD spokesperson Const. Tania Visintin stated that it was a “brazen shooting [that] happened in broad daylight” and that investigators believe it was a targeted shooting.

      “We are asking the public to remain vigilant while we find the person responsible,” Visintin stated.

      Although no arrests have been made yet, the investigation remains ongoing.

      The VPD has not yet stated if this shooting has any connections to the Lower Mainland gang conflict. 

      Anyone with information is asked to call VPD Homicide Unit at 604-717-2500 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.

      Earlier this year, a man was shot dead on April 18 outside Cardero's restaurant also in Coal Harbour. In the ensuing weeks, a wave of gang-related, fatal, and often brazen daytime shootings erupted across the Lower Mainland, spreading even to Nanaimo and Calgary.