By Steven F. Freeman
I’ll chime in with my prediction. It has nothing to do with Nate Silver blather. Nor with citizen efforts which, however valiant, face too many impossibly high hurdles. (I suspect that even if you could miraculously clear them, you’d simply wind up where you started because the system has you running around and jumping in circles.)
Barack Obama will win (or has already won) because despite all the hoopla about the contest having become a tossup, those who actually put more than hot air behind their predictions—as well as those who might actually know—have never wavered. As the polls have tightened, this confidence has increased. Obama had been steady at 2 to 1 odds; now it’s more than 4 to 1.
I suspect that some of those who really do know will not refrain from anonymously profiting from this knowledge.
From early on, I had little doubt that he would be given a second term. He’s done everything that most of his higher-ups could have wished for:
• Completing the greatest reverse Robin Hood transfer in history—trillions of dollars to the world’s richest financial institutions—that’s several years of Americans’ earnings, past, present, and future.
• “Reforming” an obese, diseased wreck of a “health-care” system by promising to make it still more bloated—18 percent of GNP and still growing—opening all remaining arteries for Big “Healthcare” to feast on (in return for pills, technology, forms, and faxes).
• Increasing military spending despite U.S. public and private insolvency and already spending more than the rest of the world combined—maintaining a steady supply of wars-and-enemies military pipeline.
• Ignoring promises to address global warming and precipitous environmental degradation; despite the BP disaster warning, allowing ever riskier and destructive fossil-fuel extraction.
• Eliminating fundamental civil liberties—the government may now target American citizens for death in secret and without trial. (See links below.)
•Secret U.S. Memo Made Legal Case to Kill a Citizen, New York Times, October 8, 2011.
•Talking Note: President Obama’s Kill List, New York Times, May 29, 2012.
• Obama moves to make the War on Terror permanent, the Guardian, October 24, 2012.
And all this while neutralizing the opposition home and abroad that coalesced against George W. Bush administration policies (or that would recoalesce against a Romney administration).
With these achievements and more, Obama has earned a second term.
And as a small aside, they don’t even have to steal it for Obama.
Steven F. Freeman is a professor of organizational dynamics at the University of Pennsylvania and coauthor of Was the 2004 presidential election stolen?. He's also the founder of Election Integrity, where this post appeared initially.