Vancouver Whitecaps FC youth players assaulted, one stabbed, during confrontation in Burnaby

    1 of 1 2 of 1

      During an alleged confrontation between youths in North Burnaby on Saturday, one male teen was stabbed and police are investigating the attack, which may have been racially motivated. 

      Around 11:40 p.m. on August 14, RCMP responded to reports of a stabbing near Hastings Street and Kensington Avenue in Burnaby.

      When police arrived at the location, they found a 17-year-old male victim suffering from a stab wound. 

      With the help of a police dog, police located and apprehended a 17-year-old male suspect, who is a Burnaby resident.

      According to Burnaby RCMP, dozens of young people had been partying in an outdoor area when a confrontation allegedly developed between several individuals, which may have involved the use of racial slurs and pepper spray before the stabbing.

      Burnaby RCMP stated that no one else was seriously injured. 

      Investigators are seeking to determine if the suspect and victim, who cannot be publicly identified, were known to each other, and are working to establish a motive.

      Whitecaps FC issued a statement that three players of its academy were assaulted during this incident and that it was “believed to be a racially motivated attack”.

      According to Whitecaps FC, one player was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries and is expected to make a full recovery after surgery.  

      “We are aware of the allegation that racial slurs may have been used during this altercation, which will form part of our investigation as we work to determine a motive,” Burnaby RCMP Insp. Matt Toews stated in a news release.

      Toews added that investigators are “looking at all aspects of this incident”.

      Any witnesses with information about this incident are asked to call a dedicated phone tip line at Burnaby RCMP at 604-646-9522.

      Some other violent incidents involving knives also occurred in the region this past weekend.

      In an unrelated case in the early morning hours of August 14, a 26-year-old man was fatally stabbed in Whistler in an incident.

      Then on August 15, a 46-year-old man was walking in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood in Vancouver when a male suspect approached him from behind and slashed his neck in an apparently random attack.

      Police arrested a 30-year-old suspect who will face an attempted murder charge. 

      You can follow Craig Takeuchi on Twitter at @cinecraig or on Facebook.