Active cases dropped today in four health regions—the exception was Vancouver Coastal Health, where case numbers were roughly level with yesterday.
There’s one new healthcare outbreak, several deaths, and almost a dozen flights with potential exposures.
B.C. update: September 15
Today, B.C. is reporting 661 new COVID-19 cases (including two epi-linked cases).
Currently, there are 5,791 active cases, which is a decrease of 374 cases since yesterday.
The new and active cases include:
- 237 new cases in Fraser Health, with 1,744 total active cases (204 fewer cases than yesterday);
- 196 new cases in Interior Health, with 1,536 total active cases (47 fewer cases);
- 99 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health, with 1,037 total active cases (seven more cases than yesterday);
- 62 new cases in Northern Health, with 849 total active cases (115 fewer cases);
- 66 new cases in Island Health, with 615 total active cases (12 fewer cases);
- one new case of a person who resides outside of Canada, with 10 total active cases (three fewer cases).
Today, 288 individuals are in hospital (same number as yesterday) and 137 are in intensive care units (three fewer than yesterday).
Tragically, seven new deaths have been reported, including:
- three in Interior Health;
- two in Vancouver Coastal Health;
- two in Island Health.
The overall total number of COVID-19-related deaths is now at 1,873 people who have died.
With 1,043 recoveries since yesterday, an overall total of 168,459 people who tested positive have now recovered.
During the pandemic, B.C. has reported a cumulative total of 176,480 COVID-19 cases.
Since December, B.C. has administered 7,643,973 doses of Pfizer, Moderna, and AstraZeneca vaccines.
As of today, 86.1 percent (3,991,888) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose and 78.6 percent (3,644,716) have received their second dose.
In addition, 86.7 percent (3,749,484) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 79.5 percent (3,439,273) have received their second dose.
From September 7 to 13, people who aren’t fully vaccinated accounted for 76.5 percent of COVID-19 cases and from August 31 to September 13, they accounted for 87.3 percent of hospitalizations.
Out of a total of 4,935 COVID-19 cases from September 7 to 13, there were:
- 3,375 unvaccinated people (68.4 percent);
- 400 partially vaccinated people (8.1 percent);
- 1,160 fully vaccinated people (23.5 percent).
Out of a total of 387 hospitalized cases from August 31 to September 13, there were:
- 316 unvaccinated people (81.7 percent);
- 22 partially vaccinated people (5.7 percent);
- 49 fully vaccinated people (12.7 percent).
For COVID-19 cases per 100,000 population (after adjusting for age) from September 7 to 13, there were:
- 321.9 unvaccinated people;
- 100.3 partially vaccinated people;
- 29.6 fully vaccinated people.
For cases hospitalized per 100,000 population (after adjusting for age) from August 31 to September 13:
- 43.5 unvaccinated people;
- 8.8 partially vaccinated people;
- 1.1 fully vaccinated people.
Outbreaks and exposures
Fraser Health declared a new healthcare facility outbreak at Terrace East in Abbotsford, where two residents have tested positive.
Accordingly, there are now 25 active outbreaks, including:
- longterm care: Northcrest Care Centre, Menno Home, and Westminster House (Fraser Health); Arbutus Care Centre, Louis Brier Home and Hospital, and Opal by Element (Vancouver Coastal Health); Village at Mill Creek, Cottonwoods Care Centre, Brookhaven Care Centre, Spring Valley Care Centre, Kamloops Seniors Village, Hillside Village, The Hamlets at Westsyde, and Joseph Creek Care Village (Interior Health); Sunset Lodge (Island Health); and Jubilee Lodge (Northern Health);
- acute care: Chilliwack General Hospital (Fraser Health); Fort St. John Hospital (Northern Health); and Kootenay Boundary Regional Hospital (Interior Health);
- assisted or independent living: Nicola Meadows, David Lloyd Jones, Sun Pointe Village, Hardy View Lodge, and Rose Woods Village (Interior Health); and Terrace East (Fraser Health).
The B.C. Centre for Disease Control added the following 11 flights to its potential public exposure lists:
- August 30: WestJet 3287, Vancouver to Prince George;
- August 30: WestJet 3356, Victoria to Vancouver;
- September 6: Harbour Air 228, Victoria to Vancouver;
- September 6: Harbour Air 411, Vancouver to Maple Bay;
- September 7: Flair 690, Abbotsford to Winnipeg;
- September 7: WestJet 189, Edmonton to Kelowna;
- September 10: Flair 401, Calgary to Vancouver;
- September 11: Air Canada 251, Edmonton to Vancouver;
- September 11: WestJet 1697, Los Angeles to Vancouver;
- September 11: WestJet 1853, Kahului to Vancouver;
- September 12: WestJet 128, Vancouver to Calgary.
Sobeys listed one employee at the Thrifty Foods located at 475 Simcoe Street in Victoria tested positive and last worked there on September 6.