A local landmark restaurant on the way to and from Downtown Vancouver and the North Shore is now set to vanish.
After 40 years in operation, the White Spot location at 1616 West Georgia (at Cardero Street), straddling the West End and Coal Harbour in the area of Stanley Park, closed its doors to customers for the last time on November 28.
The location was among the first few locations for the locally founded restaurant chain, which originated from Nat Bailey’s traveling lunch counter set up at Vancouver's Lookout Point in 1928.
Vancouver-based White Spot owner Shato Holdings sold the site and an adjacent parking lot to Carnival Group Holdings for $245 million in December 2017.
Although the restaurant had continued to lease the location from the new owners, White Spot hospitality president Warren Erhart told Global News that taking increased costs and the impact of COVID-19 pandemic into consideration, the company decided not to renew the lease.
In April 2019, the City of Vancouver received a rezoning application for the development of two 38-storey strata residential towers, including a four-storey podium connecting the towers and six-level underground parking.
White Spot has over 50 locations across B.C., as well as three locations in Alberta. Meanwhile, White Spot’s sibling operation, the quick-service burger chain Triple O’s, has locations in B.C. and has also expanded to Hong Kong.